Mmm! Cod carpaccio, everything in this dish reminds you of la bella Italia. It reminds us of pesto which, in spite of the fact that some gourmets debate its origin, is undoubtedly of transalpine origin. By the way, pesto is an all-rounder. You can use it in salads and also with meat and fish. And it adds flavour to all of them. In this dish, the pasta obviously also reminds us of Italy and where it is concerned, who is brave enough to dispute who created it?!
And then, the aromas we get from this cod carpaccio with pesto and prawns make us feel that we are very Mediterranean. The cod, the prawns, the tomatoes, the lettuce… And the oil, which is, undoubtedly, the base of the whole Mediterranean diet.
All mixed together so that you delight in one of the tastiest and simplest dishes to be found. Its preparation is easy enough for novices as well as for the experts. You are obviously going to enjoy it because how would it not be possible when it reminds you of our roots?
Cod carpaccio – Ingredients for 4 people
- 500g fresh cod fillets
- 100g pasta (of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- A dozen peeled and headed prawns
- 2 tomatoes finely sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper
To prepare the pesto
- Basil leaves
- Pine nuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grated cheese
Making the pesto
- Crush the garlic, basil and pine nuts together in a mortar. Continue crushing until you have formed a creamy paste.
- Add Masía El Altet High Quality extra virgin olive oil to the paste and mix it all together.
- Set it aside in a lidded container.
- Add the grated cheese when you are going to serve it.
Preparing the cod carpaccio
Now that we have the pesto already in the fridge, we are going to prepare the carpaccio. As you will see, it is very simple:
- Add salt to the cod and cover it in pesto.
- Cover it in clingfilm. Leave it to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Boil the pasta for 8 minutes only so that it is ‘al dente’. Rinse it in cold water.
- When the pasta is cold, mix it in a bowl with the extra virgin olive oil , vinegar, salt and pepper.
- An hour before eating, place the carpaccio in the freezer so that it is easier to separate.
- Now, it’s time to eat. Serve the pasta on four plates. Place the carpaccio on top with the thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Grill the prawns and put them on the plates.
- Decorate with lettuce leaves.
And now eat and enjoy! You can see what a tasty and simple dish it is. The preparation is easy although youshould make sure you have certain ingredients prepared beforehand.