Don’t let the simplicity of a recipe put you off. That is what we are presenting you with here, rice salad with an EVOO and mustard dressing ideal for four people. This rice salad with a mustard dressing combines traditional elements such as white rice with other more exotic ones such as Japanese surimi.
Moreover, the combination of cooked ham and pineapple in syrup will provoke an explosion of sensations on your palate. The main ingredient of this recipe is rice so we can talk about a dessert which is extremely nutritious and healthy, in the same way that that chives can boast of the same qualities.
And without more ado, we are going to explain this simple, healthy and tasty recipe.
Main ingredients for the rice salad
• 320g of boiled white rice
• 125g of small cooked prawns
• 100g of diced cooked ham
• 100g of surimi*, finely sliced
• Pineapple pieces in syrup, diced
• Fresh chives, chopped
• 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Ingredients for the rice salad dressing:
• 1 teaspoon of mustard
• 4 tablespoons of Masía El Altet extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
Preparing the rice salad:
1. It is so simple that all you have to do is mix together in a large dish all the ingredients that we have listed above although you can also use a bowl. Leave to cool in the fridge.
2. The dressing is just as easy. Beat together all the ingredients and when you are going to serve the rice salad, add the dressing. Never do it before.
Rice, the main ingredient of this dish, is a wonderful energy-provider for your body due to its abundant carbohydrates. There is no sports’ diet that does not include rice. And besides that, you should also bear in mind that:
• It contains no harmful fats or bad cholesterol
• It helps to combat excess weight
• It is recommended for people suffering from high blood pressure because it is low in sodium
• It protects against various types of cancer
• It contains natural antioxidants, among them Vitamins A and C. Flavonoids and phenolic composites aid in the task of rejuvenating your body cells.
• It is also a diuretic and has many properties which help to protect your heart.
Preparing the dressing:
For the dressing of this rice dish, we advise you to use Masía El Altet High End extra virgin olive oil because it is elegant and subtle and you will discover a very light touch of aromatic herbs. High End is produced one hundred per cent from the Arbequina variety, an intense oil which tastes of the mountains. In this extra virgin olive oil, you will also find a high level of antioxidants and polyphenols which your health will appreciate.
*Surimi is a Japanese product. It is more of an invention really which, although you may not believe it, is already thousands of years old. Japanese fishermen took advantage of leftover pieces of fish which were not comercially viable to make what was first called Kamaboko which is, in reality, a fish paste more popularly known as surimi. You can buy it in a multitude of high street shops and also in many shops online.
*Chives come from the onion family and are very low in calories but, at the same time, offer a great number of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, ideal for keeping all your body cells young.