What there can be no doubt about is that this recipe for Mountain of Alicante striped aubergine bake is extremely healthy and incredibly easy to make.
The only ‘’drawback’’ – if it can be called that – is that you need to have an hour at your disposal to prepare it.
But if we’ve said that it’s easy and simple, that doesn’t mean it isn’t tasty.
And we’re going to let you into a secret: it’s a dish which costs very little and that’ll be a roaring success for you.
We’ve chosen, and it couldn’t be any other way, products from the Mountains of Alicante, which is where our olive groves are situated and for that reason, you’ll see that we’ve chosen the striped aubergine, which is what is grown in this area and the story has it, the original variety.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 5 kg striped aubergines
- 4 Tomatoes (optional-recipe variety)
- 6 slices semi-cured goat’s cheese
- 3 eggs
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 onion
- 4 spoonfuls honey
- Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
On this occasion, we’re going to split the preparation into two parts. First of all, the base and then, we’ll prepare the bake, as a whole.
Prepartion of the base
- Peel the onion and dice it finely. This method is also known as ‘in brunoise’
- If you decide to make the recipe with tomato, cut them too.
- Wash the striped aubergines and dice them It’s a good idea not to use the two ends.
- Put a frying pan on the heat, add extra virgin olive oil and get ready to lightly fry the onion. Do it on a low heat.
- Now, add the aubergines. You must stir them and make certain that they’re mixed up with the onion. When you’ve done that, cover the frying pan and leave it on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Now, you only have to put the ingredients into a casserole and let them cool down.
Preparation of the bake, as a whole
Since you’ve already got the casserole ready, what you have to do now is follow these steps:
- Add salt, pepper and oregano to the onion and striped aubergines
- Add the breadcrumbs and mix everything together
- Beat the 3 eggs. Add them to the casserole and again, mix everything together.
- Pre-heat the oven to a temperature of 180º.
- Now cover the top of the casserole mix with the slices of semi-cured goat’s cheese
- Drizzle with honey
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes
And it’s ready. What we must say is that you shouldn’t take the 25 minutes as gospel because every oven is different. Make certain the dish is well cooked. You’l know when you see the the cheese bubbling and when the top is golden.