The courgette is a summer vegetable. And it’s at this time of year that we have to take advantage (although it’s obvious that we can now find it at any time of year just like tomatoes. But it’s at its peak in summer just as tomatoes are at their tastiest in summer too).
But one thing before we present you with this cream of courgette soup. Here in the mountains of Alicante, where our Masía El Altet olive estate is located, we grow white courgettes. Yes. But we also have the green variety which is much better known in the rest of Spain.
But the white variety feels much more ours. And the taste? Well it’s just as tasty. So if you prepare this cream of courgette soup, why don’t you use the white variety which is our auctoctonous one?
Now to the recipe (which you’ll see is typically summery) and then we’ll tell you more things about courgettes.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 courgettes
- 1 onion
- 1 potato
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Two tablespoons of cream
- Carefully wash and slice the courgettes. Peel them.
- Now cut the potato into small pieces and chop up the onion. Cook slowly with extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan on a low gas for about five minutes.
- Cover with the vegetable stock.
- Leave to cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- When ready, leave to cool down before putting through the blender. So that it’s of a thicker consistency, drain off any liquid that might remain. Blend again until you see that it’s become really creamy.
- All you need to do now is check it for salt and add more if necessary.
- You can decorate the cream soup with a little parsley (as Arguiñano does). You can serve it with croutons.
Really easy, isn’t it? It’s an ideal dish for the summer but for winter as well. Instead of letting it cool down, you can serve it really hot.
It’s a fantastic way of eating vegetables in summer when the temperature is at its highest. What’s more, it’s also proven that the little ones in the house love this cream of courgette soup.
Courgettes are one of the ‘super vegetables’ which you should always have in. They contain a great quantity of water and for that reason are brilliant if you’re on a diet.
They also contain carbohydrates, fats and proteins. All of them very healthy. And besides that, they’ve got a small amount of folic acid and vitamin C. They also contain vitamins from the B group such as B1, B2 and B6 but in lesser quantities.
Image Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lablasco/5571107308